Disclosure: The links below are affiliate links. This means at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you decide to click through and make a purchase.
What exactly is this new Molar Magician teether by The Teething Egg and how does it compare to their other products? Well, it’s an oval teether, shaped like a flattened egg, with 4 appendage-esque protrusions coming off of it. Basically an egg with four arms. It does have a hole through it with a lanyard attached, which is always a great addition for teethers. The arms and legs also have 4 distinct textures to provide a variety of sensations as your little one gnaws away at it.
Additionally, the Molar Magician can be placed in the refrigerator and cooled to really soothe those swollen gums. Their website mentions being able to go in the freezer as well, but be careful about very extreme temperatures…I would recommend letting it warm up some if you decide to do that as it may initially be too cold for baby and their tender gums.
Like other Teething Egg products, it is non-toxic and BPA, BPS, PVC, Phthalate, Metal, Latex and Lead Free. It’s actually made from food grade TPE material that is FDA approved (and commonly found in children’s products like pacifiers). It is easy to sterilize and can be run through the dishwasher or steam sterilized.
The age recommendation for the Molar Magician is slightly older than for the Teething Egg. 6 months+ as opposed to 3 months+. Presumably this is due to the fact that those harder to reach teeth don’t come in until later, and this product is really designed for soothing the back of the mouth molar area; hence the name Molar Magician.
The Molar Magician retails for $15.99; however there are almost always buy 2 get 1 deals on the manufacturer’s website if you really end up loving it or want to give as gifts to others. Currently, the Molar Magician is available in four colors: mint green, baby pink, soft gray and baby blue.
- I absolutely love that both the Molar Magician and the teething eggs come on a lanyard with a clip! This makes it a great teether for on the go when others inevitably get dropped under a dirty restaurant table just when you need it the most!
- Easy to keep clean. There are no pores, holes, or soft surfaces to clean on the teething egg, so it is super easy to wash and sanitize over and over again. It’s even dishwasher safe, so you can always just toss it in your dishwasher and let it get washed.
- It’s nice that there are a variety of colors to choose from, not a big determining factor for me personally, but others may enjoy the selection.
- Safe to use – no harsh chemicals are used in the eggs and there are no sharp edges.
- High Quality Teether – This teether is extremely well-made and durable. Even with taking this on the go in my diaper bag for months and testing for the review, the teether really held up and showed no significant signs of wear.
- My baby really enjoys gnawing on the little molar magician arms, so I do think this is an engaging teether for babies!
- Price – this is still one of the more expensive teether options.
- While this is advertised as for molars, I don’t actually think the little arms do a great job reaching back to molars without a baby really gagging themselves. I think this is still good for some of the front teeth coming in. Like the teething egg though, it can be a bit difficult for young babies to hold.
The Molar Magician far surpasses the Teething Egg in my opinion. It’s more interesting for babies (they love the little arms and legs), it’s less expensive, and it still has all of the positives that the egg had. It is designed for slightly older babies than the egg, but it is much more effective. Does it beat all of the other options on the market? Probably not at this price point, but if your baby loves this thing, you wont mind spending a few extra bucks. I say go for it!
Here are a couple of teethers that I do recommend as our personal favorites:
- This Baby Banana Infant Toothbrush – Hands down, this was my daughter’s favorite teether. I think she really liked that it had handles she could grip and the texture of the toothbrush-like bristles on her gums.
- My second child loves these Teething Tubes. They are super lightweight, easy for baby to grip, easy to clean and it works for both the front teeth and molars.
- These ZoLi Chubby Gum teethers are one of my top recommendations for molar teething. They are super easy to hold and have a guard to prevent baby from gagging themselves.
If you haven’t checked out my review of the original teething egg, you can find that here.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Let me know in the comments below if you’ve tried out the Molar Magician and what you thought of it.